Monday, May 10, 2021

Homily Sixth Sunday of Easter May 9, 2021 Mother’s Day

 Homily   Sixth Sunday of Easter May 9, 2021   Mother’s Day

           In the Gospel we just heard proclaimed, Jesus says to His disciples, that is, to us: “As the Father loves me, so I also love you.”   Today Jesus solemnly tells you: “I love you.”

          Maybe you get told frequently by a spouse or parent or child or friend, “I love you.”  But for most of us that is not common, and for all of us we can always use more affirmations that we are loved.  And today, in this Gospel, Jesus says to you, “I love you.”       //

          How does that make you feel?  Do you kind of shrug it off as no big deal?  You say to yourself, “Yehhh, big deal, that doesn’t help with my bills or my aches and pains.”  And so, you kind of blow it off?

          Or does it embarrass you somewhat?  It is so personal, so tender, so touching.  It is outside our usual expectations, it gets so close, it just is uncomfortable.

          Or does it threaten you a bit?  Anyone else scarred of intimacy?   Of such closeness?  Of the mutual obligations and expectations it places on us?  Do I really want to go there?  What am I getting into? 

          Or are you overjoyed at this revelation of Jesus’ love for you?   Does it make you happy, excited, feeling more alive, overwhelmed?  The Lord loves me!  Hurray!!!  The sky is bluer, colors more vivid, I feel more alive, Alleluia!  I’m loved!      //

          I have all of these reactions in varying degrees.  And most likely you feel at least some of these, as well as other reactions, on hearing Jesus solemnly say to you in today’s Gospel, “I love you.”

          It is really important, first of all, to hear that.  “As the Father loves me, so I also love you.  Remain in my love.”

        Notice that there is a dynamism to this love.  It moves.  It begins with God the Father, the source of all, and the love moves from the Father to the Son, or as Jesus says, “As the Father loves me,…”   Then the love moves from Jesus to us.  so I also love you.”

          But it doesn’t, or shouldn’t, stop there.  Jesus goes on to tell us: “This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.”  From the Father to the Son, from the Son to us, from us to everyone we meet. It is a dynamic, living love.  It is all love.    //

          How can Jesus “command” love?  Love must be freely given.  It cannot be forced.  You cannot legislate love.  How can Jesus command love?  

          This is not at all like the commandments that God gave to Moses on Mt Sinai, the Ten Commandments, the “Thou shall nots…”  Rather this is the “command” from one lover to another.  It is not a law, but something much more powerful, a request made in love.  And the desire to please the beloved is greater than the force of any law or threat of punishment.  //

          On this day when we remember and honor the other-serving love of Mothers, and all mother figures, we are presented in the Gospel with the ultimate example of other-serving love, Jesus Christ.  Jesus loves me, and Jesus loves you.  His example, His love, His giving of Himself to us blesses us, challenges us, motivates us to love one another. 

          Jesus assures us today: “It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you   This I command you: love one another.”

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment